Supported Independent Living
Supported independent living (SIL) is an NDIS support to help you live in your home.
It includes help or supervision with daily tasks, like personal care or cooking meals.
It helps you live as independently as possible, while building your skills.
Supported independent living is for people with higher support needs and who need some level of help at home all the time.
Individualised Living Options
An Individualised Living Option (ILO) is an NDIS support that lets you choose the home you live in and set up supports in the way that best suits you.
An ILO is a package of supports that can help you live how you want in the home environment you have chosen. It is not the home itself.
ILO supports let you work out how you want to live, where you live and who you live with.
There are lots of choices with ILO. You can share your home with friends or housemates or you might live in a host arrangement or on your own with tailored support
Personal Care Supports
You may also be able to access personal care supports to provide assistance with, or supervision of, daily personal activities like:
- personal hygiene, including showering, bathing, oral hygiene, dressing and grooming
- toileting, bladder and bowel management and menstrual care
- eating and drinking
- attending appointments
- use of aids and appliances, hearing and communication devices
- mobility and transferring, for example moving in and out of bed and on or off the toilet
- application of splints, basic first aid due to injuries sustained as a result of a participant’s disability.
Talk to your support coordinator or NDIS planner for more information about personal care supports.
You can also visit the NDIS website for more information about reasonable and necessary supports.