What is the NDIS doing to help participants?
We have a number of temporary COVID-19 measures to support participants during the pandemic. This page has information on what we are doing to help participants.
- Action plan to ensure NDIS participants and their families continue to receive the essential disability supports they need.
- Proactive outreach to high-risk participants and sharing of data with states and territories to ensure continuity of supports.
- Everyone in Australia will be offered a safe, free and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- All NDIS participants, their carers and support workers are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
- All Australians must give informed consent before having the COVID-19 vaccine. If you want, you are able to have someone support you in your decision making.
- More information about COVID-19 vaccines for people with a disability is available on the Australian Government’s Department of Health website.
- COVID-19 vaccination information is also available in Easy Read , Auslan and other languages .
Plans and plan reviews
- NDIS plans may be automatically extended by up to 12 months, ensuring continuity of support.
- Face-to-face planning shifted to telephone meetings where possible.
- Increased flexibility within your budgets to purchase disability-supports.
Accessing the NDIS
We have made our Access Request form and Supporting Evidence form available for download on our website.
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Participants with a reasonable and necessary need for PPE when their disability worker is supporting them can use their NDIS funds to purchase PPE .
- Visit the health and safety page for more information on PPE.
One-off deep clean
If a participant has a support worker attending their home who later tests positive to COVID-19, then the participant will be able to access a one-off deep clean.
- Participants can use existing NDIS funds to buy low cost AT such as fitness equipment or smart devices to help access supports.
- More information about low cost AT.
Supported Independent Living
- To help participants living in Supported Independent Living (SIL) during the COVID-19, we have introduced support items for cleaning services and higher intensity support.
- We also have a new temporary support to help NDIS participants in SIL to access the COVID-19 vaccination.
- The COVID-19 vaccination is voluntary. Providers will only make vaccination appointments with your consent.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) planning resource for people with disability
Collaborating 4 Inclusion has worked with the Australian Government Department of Health to develop a guide which helps people with disability to get the facts about coronavirus (COVID-19) and make a plan for how to manage the impact.
It is important Australians with disability can make a coronavirus (COVID-19) plan that meets their needs.
Visit the Collaborating 4 Inclusion website for further information.