- Contact us
- Our locations
- What is the NDIS
- Independent Advisory Council
- Jobs at the NDIA
- Our Service Charter
- Information, publications and reports
- Market Position Statement
- NDIS in the ACT
- NDIS in NSW
- NDIS in the NT
- NDIS in SA
- NDIS in Tas
- NDIS in Vic
- NDIS in WA
NDIS in the Northern Territory
The details on how people will phase into the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) have been agreed between the Commonwealth and the Northern Territory governments.
The NDIS will progressively roll out across the Northern Territory over a three year period, ultimately providing support to more than 6,500 people.
The NDIS commenced in the Northern Territory on 1 July 2014 for people up to age 65 living in the Barkly region.
- How will the NDIS roll out in the Northern Territory?
- Roll out of the NDIS in the Northern Territory - Map
- Northern Territory Regions
- Transition of supported accommodation
- Early Childhood Early Intervention
- Where can I find more information?
- Transitional arrangements
- Intergovernmental agreements
The NDIS is being introduced in stages, because it’s a big change and it is important to get it right and make it sustainable.
In the Northern Territory the NDIS will be rolled out geographically. People will move to the NDIS at different times depending on where they live.
The transition to full scheme will commence on 1 July 2016 with continued roll-out in the Barkly region.
Roll out of the NDIS in the Northern Territory - introductory video
- Transcript: Roll out of the NDIS in the Northern Territory - introductory video (DOCX 20KB)
- Transcript: Roll out of the NDIS in the Northern Territory - introductory video (PDF 20KB)
Eligible people in supported accommodation, including Commonwealth Residential Aged Care, will move to the NDIS as follows:
- From 1 January 2017 people in supported accommodation in Darwin Urban will begin to move to the NDIS.
- From 1 July 2017 people in supported accommodation in Alice Springs and Katherine will move to the NDIS.
Early Childhood partners will be available to children across the Territory in line with the NDIS roll out, based on a community by community approach.
For more information about the ECEI approach, visit the NDIS ECEI page.
Information packs on the NT roll out have been developed as a resource for providers and future participants. These resources include a range of factsheets and a frequently asked questions document on the NDIS and the NT roll out.
Easy English materials about the NT roll out have also been developed.
Read about upcoming events in Northern Territory.
You can subscribe to the NDIS e-newsletter for the latest news and information about the Scheme.
Contact us by phone or email.
Roll out of the NDIS in the Northern Territory has been agreed between the Commonwealth and Northern Territory governments. You can read the agreement on the COAG website (link is external)