How long does it take to do exploration and design?
Exploration and design is all about you and finding the best living arrangement to suit your needs and preferences. To do this, the people working with you need to gather a lot of information. The NDIA recommends a minimum of three months for the exploration and design stage, but it may extend over a much longer period.
The information you need to design your ILO may include but is not limited to:
- your goals
- your network and social community
- what kinds of supports you already access
- details on what’s worked for you in the past
- what you want your life to look like
- if you are ready for a change.
If you are working with someone you have not worked with previously, there are likely to be a number of meetings. Depending on your situation and preferred living arrangement, you might trial an overnight stay or spending some time away from your current home.