Between November 2019 and May 2021, we tested how the proposed independent assessments might work in practice through our independent assessments pilots.
In July 2021, the Commonwealth, state and territory disability ministers made the decision not to proceed with the introduction of independent assessments. Information about independent assessments has been archived.
For the evaluation, we asked for feedback from people who were part of the second pilot, including:
- Participants and their supporters
- Assessors: qualified healthcare professional who are skilled in doing functional assessments
- Suppliers: people who train assessors and match assessors to participants.
The evaluation was completed by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) Research and Evaluation Branch. It also includes an independent review by the Centre for Disability Studies and the Centre for Disability Policy and Research at the University of Sydney.
For the full breakdown of participant, assessor and supplier experiences read:
- The full evaluation from the NDIA:
- The Second Independent Assessment Pilot Evaluation Report (DOCX 2.5MB)
- The Second Independent Assessment Pilot Evaluation Report (PDF 3.9MB)
- Easy read - The Second Independent Assessment Pilot Evaluation Report (DOCX 64KB)
- Easy read - The Second Independent Assessment Pilot Evaluation Report (PDF 10.5MB)
- The validation from the University of Sydney (DOCX 270KB)
- Letter from the CEO (DOCX 165KB) about the Second Independent Assessment Pilot Interim Evaluation Report
About the pilots
From November 2018 to April 2019, we ran our first independent assessment pilot.
The second pilot launched in November 2019. By 31 May 3,759 received an independent assessment and 2,194 of these were given the opportunity to provide feedback
During the pilot, we looked to:
- Understand how participants found the independent assessment process
- Hear from independent assessors on the process and their support needs
- Get feedback on the independent assessment tools and whether participants and assessors felt they collect the right information
- Find out from participants whether the report accurately reflected what they told their assessor