Early transition in the Nepean Blue Mountains area
The NDIS shop front in the Nepean Blue Mountains is located in Penrith. It will support children and young people with disability and their families to prepare for the early transition to the NDIS in Western Sydney.
How will the early transition work?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) commenced in the Nepean Blue Mountains area from 1 July 2015 for children and young people under 18 years of age.
The NDIS is being introduced in stages, because it’s a big change and it is important to get it right and make it sustainable.
From September, up to 2000 children and young people under 18 years of age on 1 July 2015 will gradually phase into the Scheme, receiving individualised plans.
The focus is on early intervention, which ensures children and young people with disability are able to access supports early on in life with a view to helping them attend mainstream schools, engage in community activities and participate fully in life.
The NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) and the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) are working closely to ensure a smooth transition to the NDIS.
Existing national and state-based services and supports will continue until eligible people start their plan with the NDIS.
If you receive existing supports you will be contacted by NSW FACS, NDIA or your provider to discuss the NDIS and explain how your services will transition to the NDIS.
To access the NDIS in Nepean Blue Mountains people must:
- Be aged under 18 years of age
- and have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent and stops them from doing everyday things for themselves
- need support now that will reduce their need for support in the future
- be aged under six years old with developmental delay.
- Live in the Local Government areas of the Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Lithgow and Penrith.
- Be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or hold a Protected Special Category Visa.
*Children born after 1 July 2015 will be able to access the NDIS as part of the early transition.
If you’re born on or after 2 July 1997 – you meet the age requirements to access the Scheme as part of the early transition.
If you’re born on or before 1 July 1997 – you will be able to access the NDIS when the rest of NSW begins transition from July 2016.
Information and fact sheets
- Frequently Asked Questions – Early Transition in Nepean Blue Mountains
- Preparing for the NDIS in the Nepean Blue Mountains area
- Frequently Asked Questions - About the NDIS (65KB PDF)
- NDIS in the Nepean Blue Mountains area - Easy English (PDF 1.0MB)
There is an NDIS office at 331 High St, Penrith. It is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.