NDIS in Queensland
Availability | Latest Statistics | NDIS in Brisbane and surrounds | NDIS in regional Queensland | More information | Early Childhood Early Intervention | Transitional Arrangements | Local Area Coordination | NDIS participants and disaster management
The NDIS is being introduced by region in Queensland. This means that in some parts of the state the NDIS is already available, while in others it has yet to begin.
If you are currently receiving support through the Queensland government (for example you are a state disability client) you will move to the NDIS as it becomes available in your region. Your existing supports will continue until you have an approved NDIS plan or when the transition period has completed.
You can apply to join the NDIS up to six months before the scheme is available in your region.
Queensland statistics as at 30 June 2018
- 16,999 people in Queensland benefiting from the NDIS
- 16,524 participants with an approved plan
- 475 children supported through the ECEI gateway
- 13% growth in the number of participants this quarter
Cairns - includes Cairns, Cassowary Coast, Tablelands, Croydon, Etheridge, Cape York and Torres Strait
Further information on the Queensland roll out can be found in the frequently asked questions document:
You can subscribe to the NDIS e-newsletter for the latest news and information about the Scheme.
The Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) approach is available to all children aged 0-6 with a developmental delay or disability in line with the roll out of the NDIS.
An ECEI Coordinator working for one of our Partners in the Community (partners) will be your main contact point for the NDIS and can help you understand and access the most appropriate supports for your child.
In QLD, the Partners delivering ECEI services are:
- UnitingCare Community (external) in Townsville, Toowoomba, Mackay and Robina Service Areas.
In the Robina Service Area, the NDIA is working together with incoming Partner UCC as they establish the full complement ECEI services. If you live in Robina and need support for your child aged 0-6 with developmental delay or disability, please contact UCC on 0427 084 280.
UCC staff will co-locate with the NDIA ECEI team in Robina and these teams will be working together as UCC establish their new Robina office and larger staffing numbers.
- EACH (external) in the Ipswich Service Area
- BUSHKids (external) in the Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Maryborough, and Maroochydore Service Areas.
- The Benevolent Society (external) in the Beenleigh, Brisbane North/South, and Caboolture/Strathpine Service Areas.
- Mission Australia (external) in the Cairns Service Area
If the NDIS is yet to roll out in your area, please visit the Queensland Government website (external) for details of early intervention supports that may be available.
To find your nearest partner office please visit Our Locations page.
If you are interested in working with one of our partners to deliver ECEI services, you can find available positions by visiting our partner's recruitment pages:
- UnitingCare Community Job Vacancies (external)
- EACH Careers (external)
- BUSHKids Careers (external)
- Benevolent Society Careers (external)
- Mission Australia Careers (external)
For most people aged 7 and above, a Local Area Coordinator (LAC), working for one of our Partners in the Community (partners) will be your main contact point for the NDIS.
In Queensland the partners delivering LAC services are:
- Carers Queensland (external) in the Toowoomba, Ipswich, Rockhampton, Beenleigh, Brisbane North & South, Caboolture/Strathpine, Maroochydore, and Robina Service Areas.
- Feros Care (external) in the Townsville and Mackay Service Areas.
- IWC (external) in the Bundaberg Service Area.
- APM (external) in the Maryborough Service Area.
- Mission Australia (external) in the Cairns Service Area.
To find your nearest partner please visit Our Locations page.
If you are interested in working as an NDIS Local Area Coordinator (LAC) in Queensland you can find available positions by visiting our partner's recruitment pages:
- Carers QLD Job Vacancies (external)
- Feros Care Careers (external)
- IWC Employment Opportunities (external)
- Work at APM (external)
- Mission Australia Careers (external)
Areas where partners do not deliver ECEI or LAC servicesSome areas of SA do not have Partners. If you live in one of these areas, someone from the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) will work with you to connect you to the NDIS or to supports in your community.
To find your nearest NDIA office please visit Our Locations page.
Find out more about when ECEI supports are delivered by the NDIA.
A bilateral agreement was signed by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on 16 March 2016 for the roll out of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in Queensland. You can read the agreement on the COAG website (external).
An Operational Plan (the Plan) is an agreement between the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), Commonwealth and Queensland governments. The Plan outlines how the three parties will work together to implement the NDIS in Queensland.
The Plan is made up of 20 different sections in two parts:
- Part one is about the bilateral and national policy.
- Part two is about administration and service delivery.
You can download the operation plan below:
NDIS participants and disaster management in Queensland
The NDIA is working closely with Queensland Government to reduce the impact of disasters on NDIS participants with vulnerabilities or NDIS participants who may become vulnerable.
Visit the Queensland Government’s Disaster and Emergencies webpage (external) for information about supporting people with vulnerabilities in disasters.